Where to Look for Unclaimed Money

Jan 15, 2024 By Susan Kelly

If a company, agency of government, or other source owes you money and you don't collect it, the money is regarded as unclaimed. Unallocated goods might include cash, notes, payment orders, service charges, deposit box contents, and more.

There isn't a centralized website for locating unclaimed money run by the federal government. But you don't need to engage a corporation to uncover unclaimed money for you. It can be found independently and at no cost by using government databases.

Check Your State for Unclaimed Money

When they cannot contact the owner, businesses transfer money to state-run unclaimed property offices. Bank accounts, insurance plans, or your state government frequently contain the unclaimed funds that the state has.

Utilize a multi-state database to look for unclaimed money. Use your name to search, particularly if you've relocated to a different state.

Check the procedure for cash collection. How you establish ownership and claim the money is governed by state law in each one.

Former Employer Pensions - Find any unclaimed pensions from businesses that: closed their doors or terminated their specified pension plan

Look for Income from Insurance

VA Life Insurance Money - Look up unclaimed insurance funds in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs VA database.

The VA may owe money to current or previous policyholders, as well as to their beneficiaries. This database excludes payments made under Servicemembers' Group Life (Provides its employees) and Veteran' Group Term Life (VGLI) policies from 1965 to the current.

Insurance Refunds from FHA

You might be qualified for a rebate if your mortgage was FHA-insured. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development issues FHA insurance reimbursements (HUD).

Your FHA case number can be used to search the HUD database. Three digits, a dash, and the following six digits make up a case number, such as 051-456789.

Look for funds from tax refunds

You might be owed money if the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) fails to deliver or claim your refund.

Do a search for money from investments and banking

Find unclaimed money from bankrupt financial organizations when a bank fails. They are listed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

Discover unclaimed money from failed credit unions.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) maintains a list of enforcement actions in which a business or individual owes investors money.

Lookup Unclaimed Funds from a Bankruptcy

A debtor to a person or business that files for bankruptcy is known as a creditor. For various reasons, the bankruptcy court occasionally fails to release the money owing to creditors.

Worldwide Unclaimed Money

Foreign Claims - Following property loss, U.S. citizens may discover money owed to them by foreign governments.

Federal tax refund checks that have not been delivered or claimed

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) loses millions of dollars in tax refunds yearly because they are either not provided or are not claimed.

Federal Tax Refund Checks that Haven't Arrived

Checks for refunds are sent to your last-known address. Your refund check could be sent back to the IRS if you relocate without informing either the IRS or the USPS.

Check the IRS' Where's My Return page if you anticipated receiving a federal tax refund but did not. Your Social Security number, filing status, and the whole dollar amount of your return must be entered. You could receive a request to update your address online.

To find out the status of your refund, you can also contact the IRS by phone. There may be a considerable wait to speak with a spokesperson. Nevertheless, you'll save time by using the answer phone system. Follow the instructions in the email when you contact them.

If you move, you must notify the IRS of your new address using Form 8822 (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) and tell the USPS of your new address.

Refunds Of Unclaimed Federal Taxes

Your refund will be forfeited if you are entitled to a federal tax refund and failure to file a return. You may profit from filing a return even if you are not required to if: Federal taxes were deducted from your salary.

The Earned Income Tax Credit is available to you (EITC)

Because your salaries were below the threshold for filing, you might not have filed a tax return. However, you still have three years beyond the filing deadline to file a return and receive your refund.

Related Articles